Most of you know of my love for Michael Dougherty's film Trick 'r Treat (I reviewed it last year, and I also talked about it LONG before the film had an official release). If you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it! It is, quite simply, the best film about Halloween since John Carpenter's 1978 masterpiece!

The central character to the film is one who isn't always the focus of the story: Sam is the spirit of Halloween itself, and he embodies all that the season is about. He is cute, yet mean as hell if you don't observe the All Hallow's Eve customs. Ever since I first saw Sam in animated form, in Dougherty's Season's Greetings short, I've been fascinated with the character.

Now, many of you DON'T know that I collect toys. Specifically, I collect figures of super-heroes and monsters. My monster collection actually gets partially displayed around Halloween, when I make a lovely graveyard scene for the entryway (since I have so many different monsters, I rotate out which figures I use every year). You can imagine when I heard that Sideshow collectibles was doing a figure of Sam, I just HAD to have it!

This is no ordinary figure though. NECA did a 7" scale figure of Sam that is pretty decent, but this is another class altogether. This guy stand 15" tall, and has real cloth clothing! My wife teases me that he is my "baby doll". Well, if so, then he's the coolest baby doll ever!!!


 

I decided it would be fun to photograph Sam in various spots throughout the house, making mischief and mayhem. Yeah, I'm weird that way.

 

I'm not promising anything, but I'm hoping to continue doing these through Halloween, as the decorations start to fill the house. He just seems like something that deserves to be seen amongst all my festive trappings!

 


 



 



 

Comments

I totally love Sam too! And I encourage you to take lots of crazy photos of him wreaking Halloween havoc and share them here. I can't wait to see them! :o)
Guillaume said…
I loved the movie too. For me it is the Pulp Fiction of horror movies and Halloween movies. And Sam is a great character that needs to be part of the Pantheon. (Him and the mythical l'Ankou).

Popular Posts