Haunted Mansion Candles? Yes, Please!

There are two events that I can trace my desire to create my own haunt back to: a school Halloween carnival, and a trip to Disneyland where I was introduced to The Haunted Mansion. Something about the twisted mixture of the whimsical and the macabre really struck a chord with me as a child, and to this day my favorite things are those that display this blending. Be it The Munsters, The Addams Family, ToxicToons, The Nightmare Before Christmas or what have you, I love those things that are creepy...but also a bit amusing.



As I said, all this can be traced, in part, to that visit to the Haunted Mansion in California. As an adult, I've taken my kids to the Florida incarnation, and they seemed to enjoy it almost as much as I did. When I set out to do my yard haunt, I used the classic ride when pitching the idea to the wife...keeping things creepy, but also kooky, was the order of the day. I still strive for that balance, and hope to get closer and closer each year. The Mansion is definitely reflective of the days when Walt Disney was running the show, and pure imagination was the way of things (you know, back before the name Disney automatically called to mind the image of a giant, faceless corporation).



Despite all these memories and associations...I can't honestly say I remember how the ride itself smelled. Researchers claim scent is one of the strongest senses associated with memory, and this is most likely true...but when I think of my trips to either Mansion, the scent of the place doesn't come to mind. It's always possible that getting a good nose-full of the aromas might make me automatically think of Madame Leota or the Grim, Grinning Ghosts...I just can't say. Well, one intrepid team on Etsy has released a scent that purports to do just that! Anthology Candles has released their "Haunted Mansion" candle, and I gotta admit...I'm EXTREMELY intrigued! The description for this item just sounds like my cup of hemlock: "Happy haunts beware: We've bottled your Haunted Mansion! Boasting the eerie fragrance of a long-abandoned ghost house full of musty carpets and dusty furnishings - complete with its own graveyard - once you light our candle, you may never want to leave! SCENTS: Musty Carpets, Dusty Furnishings, Graveyard Grasses". Wow!!! I may buy this, and then use it in a Jack O' Lantern on my front porch this Halloween


"Hey! Someone light a candle in here! The Hatbox Ghost just let one!"


This candle (along with several other Disneyland/World inspired entries) can be purchased here:


https://www.etsy.com/listing/257204570/haunted-mansion-candle-whimsically?ref=shop_home_active_2

Comments

Popular Posts