The Shape

"I met him fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left…no reason, no conscience, no understanding in even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes…the Devil’s eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized that what was living behind that boy’s eyes was purely and simply… evil".

- Dr. Samuel Loomis

Michael Myers artwork for FrightRags by Christopher Lovell

Comments

Guillaume said…
Great quote, great movie, maybe the only truly great slasher.
The Gill-Man said…
Totally agree. I've heard some folks argue that "Psycho" and "Black Christmas" qualify, but to me those are "proto-slashers". To me, Halloween is the first true entry in the sub-genre (I have one friend who argues, quite convincingly, that "Halloween" is actually a "proto-slasher" as well. He feels that "Friday the 13th" is the first "slasher", since it was the film that took what "Halloween" did and made it a formula. Since Carpenter's film wasn't trying to be formulaic in any way, he feels it doesn't quite qualify for the "slasher" label, since that denotes a formula. I don't completely agree, but he makes some good points).

Popular Posts